Library Assistant – Special Tribunal for Lebanon – Leidschendam
Responsibilities Under the overall supervision of the Information Management Officer and directly reporting to the Librarian, the Library Assistant will support the delivery of quality library services and have the following duties:
- Processes items with RFID tags, assigns inventory numbers, prints and attaches call number labels, and shelves books;
- Creates and updates catalogue and user records in the library integrated system;
- Supports senior library staff in the maintenance and development of electronic and other reference tools, and the compilation of bibliographies;
- Performs basic library circulation functions, including retrieval, check-out, check-in and recalls of materials;
- Assists in responding to enquiries by using reference materials, documents and/or computerized information sources (e.g. Internet, Cassandre, Westlaw);
- Provides information and support to users regarding library services and equipment, and organizes interlibrary loan services;
- Maintains and organizes the collection of periodicals (such as law journals and magazines), resolving missing issues;
- Performs digitization functions, including scanning, creating digital objects and postings to designated repositories;
- Document copying upon request and document delivery services as required;
- Drafts routine responses to enquiries for approval of the Librarian;
- Performs tasks using computer applications to support the procurement, payment and inspection of goods and services;
- Provides administrative support for the Library and undertakes other relevant duties as assigned.
Knowledge and Skills •Professionalism: Knowledge of library operations, and an ability to undertake relevant research, maintain records according to system rules and accurately retrieve appropriate materials in an efficient manner; efficiency in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
- Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- Accountability: Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments.
- Creativity: Actively seeks to improve programmes or services; offers new and different options to solve problems or meet client needs.
- Client Orientation: Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
- Technological Awareness: Actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks; shows willingness to learn new technology.
Qualifications • Education: Completion of secondary education attested by a diploma; additional training in library, Lebanese or international law is an asset.
- Work Experience: At least 4 years of experience in library work or administrative functions.
- Languages: Arabic, English and French are the official languages of the Special Tribunal for Lebanon. For this post proficiency in oral and written English is required. Working knowledge of the other official languages is an advantage.
Comments are closed